Public health officials recommend the following steps to prevent the spread of all respiratory viruses, including influenza and COVID-19.
- Practice social distancing. Keep your social circle small by spending time only with the people you live with, care for, or must see at work.
- Wash your hands frequently and for at least 20 seconds with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer. 20 seconds is one round of “The Alphabet Song” or two rounds of “Happy Birthday to You”.
- Cough into your elbow or a tissue and not your hands. Dispose of the tissue.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- If you are sick, stay home
- Practice healthy habits: Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of ﬂuids, and eat nutritious food.